Summer Camp Administrative Counselor
Primary Role: To further the mission of Camp Garrett by assisting in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their camper group within activities and throughout the camp to meet the intended camper outcomes. The successful Summer Camp Administrative Counselor will build positive relationships with campers and staff while assisting in various areas of camp.
The Administrative Counselor will report all needs to Camp Director.
Essential Job Functions
– Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through
communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, inclusion, and empowerment of youth. Implement and understand all safety guidelines.
– Participate in the development and implementation of program activities for campers within the mission and outcomes.
– Responsible for assisting with the teaching of activities.
– Actively participate in all program areas as assigned.
– Assist in all program areas such as swimming, nature, art, and other camp activities as directed.
– Be alert to campers and staff needs and communicate with the camp director when appropriate.
– Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to camp director.
– Set a good example to campers and others regarding general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
– Create and maintain positive business and working relationships with supervisors, coworkers, families, campers, and the community
– Maintain a positive attitude while welcoming families during drop off/pick up, answering questions and concerns as needed.
Qualifications, Skills, and Ability:
– Must be at least 18 years of age
– Experience with children and young adults
– Desire and ability to work with children outdoors
Other Job Duties:
– Participate in camp activities, programs and meetings, including staff meetings
– Be flexible with job duties and get to know camper groups to assist when necessary.
– Assist with administrative functions of camp.
– All other duties as assigned
Physical/Cognitive Requirements of the Essential Job Functions:
This position requires the ability to perform immediate and appropriate rescues to any person in need at or in the pool. This position also requires the ability to listen to others, observe others’ actions and take corrective actions, when necessary, read text and information; comprehend instructions and manuals. It also requires the physical ability to move about the camp property in various environmental conditions.