Building Substitute Job Description
Primary Role: To further the mission of Garrett Williamson by assisting in establishing and maintaining a developmentally appropriate early childhood classroom and fostering a supportive and positive learning environment for children.
Immediate Supervisor: Child Care Director
Essential Job Functions:
- Works throughout the center, covering prep time, release time, absences and vacations of staff
- Ensures students are properly supervised and engaged at all times, including transition periods while maintaining state regulated ratios
- Maintains classroom cleanliness according to health and safety regulations
- Displays professionalism and maintains confidentiality when interacting with staff and families
- Plays and interacts with children throughout the day
- Administers basic first aid
- Changes diapers and assists children with toileting needs
- Assists in creating a nurturing and safe environment for all children including meeting their social, emotional and physical needs.
Required Skills, Experience and Professional Development:
- 18 years of age or older with a high school diploma or GED
- All education and experience requirements as outlined by the Department of Human Services and Keystone Stars
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to respond well to unusual or crisis situations
Other Job Duties:
- Flexible and able to work with any age group when necessary
- Attends monthly staff meetings and three yearly staff in-services
- Ability to lift 40 pounds
- All other duties as assigned
Physical Requirements: This position requires the ability to engage with children at their eye level, in indoor and outdoor settings, listen to and observe others’ actions and take corrective actions when necessary. This position also requires the physical ability to move about the property in various environmental conditions.